Wednesday, August 20, 2008

And Hilliary Clinton is really the daughter of Bigfoot

Conspiracy theories; you have to love them. Except that you have to wonder about the people who actually believe this stuff.

Even if Angela Merkel, the Chancellor of Germany WERE the daughter of Adolf Hitler by artificial insemination, using frozen seamen and the youngest sister of Eva Braun, so what? Really, so what? My father is a retired engineer, I am a librarian. he is 6'2" and I'm 5'11". I live in China and he lives in West Texas. I drink beer and whiskey but don't smoke and he is a teetotaler who loves cigars. I don't even have a driver's license and he has not only a license but a Cadillac Escalade SUV. Genetics only makes up part of who we are. Education, experience and choice make up the rest. Being the biological child of criminal is not proof of your criminality.

To be fair, these kinds of theories abound throughout the entire social and political spectrum. Lots of US democrats believe all sorts of ridiculous things about Dick Cheney, Karl Rove and G.W. Bush. You need try no harder than doing a search on the "Real cause of 9-11"to see that this is true. These are roughly counter balanced by the people who think Hillary Clinton is the handmaiden to the Anti-Christ, the daughter of Big-Foot and a Space Alien who was really adopted and raised as human.

I think the sad thing about all of this, in a political sense is that it prevents supporters of particular political persons from dispassionately examining their candidate's position. Because it becomes far to easy to simply say; "Those Fruit-Loops, what do they know?" when confronted with actual positions, problems or contradictions in their candidates position.

But then; what do I know? The local Chinese here think I'm a CIA spy because I think the Olympic medal total by the PRC looks suspiciously like steroids were used by the entire Chinese team. So obviously, I can't be trusted.

Until Next Time
Fai Mao
The Blogger who doesn't believe that history is a conspiracy.

No comments: