Thursday, April 02, 2009

Malaise

There is a somewhat funny saying: “An optimist believes that we live in the best of all possible worlds and a pessimist is afraid that the optimist is correct.” The really smart, pretty, hard working and looks twenty-five years younger than she is wife has been telling me that I have become too pessimistic. I think in some ways she is right but I maintain that I am trying to look on the bright side except there isn’t one. That is part of why I’ve not been posting much. I can only write so many caustic essays. Kind of the Thumper Rabbit principle, “If you can’t say something nice then don’t say anything at all.”

But there is some good news. The late Nina Wong’s Fung Shui Master Boyfriend is about to get charged with fraud. He evidently forged the will that gave him the fortune that she stole from her even later husband’s family. That’s good. I still don’t like China-Chem very much but at least the crooks who earned the money have what is theirs. I think Nina Wong had her husband murdered and forged a will to gain control of the company and there is perverse humor in then seeing someone do to her what she’d already done.

Many places, most of them fascist including Hong Kong have gun control. Hong Kong also has “Tree-Control” As with most things a government does it works poorly. Recently a dying tree fell and killed a teenage girl. The tree couldn’t be cut down without government permission which evidently takes years to get. So, we can’t get an anti-air pollution law with teeth, murderers get 8 months in jail but people are prosecuted for cutting down a dying tree.

We’ve also had a series of scandals involving pharmaceutical companies that have packaged out-of-date or defective drugs. A lot of people would attribute this to “The profit motive” I don’t. I attribute it to the “I have no ethics because I grew up in the Hong Kong educational system” motive.

Until Next Time
Fai Mao
The Blogger who is trying to find good things to say

No comments: