Sunday, April 18, 2010

Home with the Armadillo?


There are times of year that I miss the prairies. Spring on the prairie is like fall in the mountains. It is the time when nature shows off.


Today is homesick day. I can't really say why. It isn't family I miss, or people it is the land and sky, the dirt, the smell of the plants, the silent ghost that walk the roads of our memory. I despise the crowds today. There is no comfort in the relative solitude of the flat in Causeway Bay. I miss miles of nothing. I have an unfulfillable longing for a '67 Mustang with a 289 and a 4-speed, no AC and three-hundred-and-fifty-miles of empty high-way. There is a freedom in solitude that is impossible to capture in Hong Kong.

I am reminded of the British Physicist, I think his name was Fuch who was a closet communist and defected to the USSR in the late 1940's. He returned to the UK several years later even though it meant spending the rest of his life in jail. When asked "Why?" he said; "I've beed a communist since I was 18 but I was born and Englishman."

I live in Hong Kong. It is my home and probably will be for the rest of my life. But there are days I wish I were somewhere else. This is one of those days. Today, I wish I were in Texas.






Until Next Time
Fai Mao
The Blogger who'd really appreciate a Lone Star Beer right about now.

No comments: