Thursday, March 21, 2024

Hearing Aids

About 1 year ago I got hearing aids. It took a few months to get used to them and overall I really like them. But being able to hear got me thinking about the philosophical aspects of hearing.

Scientists who study such things tell us that senses like sight and hearing are adaptations that allow us to hunt for food or mates or avoid being hunted for food or mates. I guess that's true, though I wonder how a little organism that has neither the ability to hear nor see could even realize that light and sound existed?  

But anyway, I enjoy not having to continually say, "I'm sorry. Can you repeat that?" The hearing aids work with my phone so the phone call is piped directly into my ears. So unlike way too many Yahoos, I don't yell into my cell phone because I can hear what's being said on the other end. I can also listen to radio stations via the phone which is nice if I want to hear something in a crowded room and don't want to bother other people.  Lastly, the warning beeps and chimes in the car now play directly into the ear as well as out loud 

All of this leads me to ask two questions.
1. How much of the world do I actually want to hear?
2. How much of What I hear is actually worth listening to?

Do I really want to hear the world around me? Often time the answer is no. 
And, much of what I hear is worthless.

It makes me question the need for hearing aids/

Until Next Time
Fai Mao
The Blogger who isn't sure if liked being deaf better

No comments: