Monday, March 05, 2007

Fat Fashion

I was in Wan Chai this weekend. Nothing special, just shopping but as always I was observing the locals and tourist on the street. In the space of about 15 minutes I saw three or four men who were just huge. I mean 50+ inch waist lines. All of them were dressed to the nines. French cuffs with cuff-links. Fancy shoes and ties; exquisitely groomed hair and aftershave that would attract honeybees. It could be that they just stick out more but why does it seem that really overweight men are always such natty dressers? If I, a slightly overweight but not really obese middle aged man wore those kinds of clothes to work people would want to know if I was gay. Really fat guys are the only men I know of who can dress like a gay and not be thought of as gay.

There are several potential answers to this but the truth is probably some combination.
1. They are good dressers because it is a way to offset the negative reaction their weight might make on people
2. A way to compensate for an otherwise poor self image
3. They just really enjoy life; expensive clothes, good cigars, pretty women and rich food and wine. Thus, being overweight is just part of their lifestyle.

Now the other question. Why do I always look like such a slob in comparison?

Until Next Time
Fai Mao
The Blogger who is just a paunchy slob

No comments: