Wednesday, October 29, 2008

No obvious clowns in fast-food chain of command

Nurry is always funny and should have a wider audience.

When I was simply an American and didn't have "Expat-" in front of the "American" (In other words, before I moved to Hong Kong) I always avoided McDonald's if I could. Not only are they the worst fast food place in the US but I didn't like their politics. Once they mailed me a coupon for a free sandwich and I stopped in at a Mineral Wells outlet, used the coupon to get the free sandwich and then politely threw it away without opening it.

The manager asked what was the problem and I replied Joan Krok, who owned McDonald's at the time had given USD $1,000,000 to a cause I despised so I was doing my part to drive them out of business. I didn't yell, and I didn't make a scene and since the franchise involved sent the coupons to the head office didn't cost the local guy any money. So I guess it was simply an exercises in symbolism over substance but it made me feel better and I enjoyed the sense of moral superiority I got for several hours.

Then I moved to Hong Kong.

In the 3rd world McDonald's is often a Godsend if for no other reason than they have a free, non-squatty-potty toilet. They are typically cleaner than the local places (Though not always) and serve items that have recognizable ingredients and are cheaper than say Pizza Hut or KFC. They also have that wonderful Thai Chili-sauce that you can get instead of ketchup. I don't know if I am ashamed to say I have lost my political scruples when it comes to bad cheeseburgers or not?

Until Next Time
Fai Mao
The blogger whose food is probably way too fast

No comments: