Friday, October 23, 2009

A Rock and a Hard Place

I have harped pretty incessantly about the way the HK government is continually knuckling under to the overlords in the Beijing. However, I am not sure that I can be critical of the local officials in this case.

The guy was traveling under fraudulent documents which makes him a criminal.

Now, if he'd been living in the UK or the US or France or Taiwan and the PRC had kidnapped him back to China or poisoned him then he'd have my sympathy. If he'd used his forged documents to go into China to try and start a revolution and then got caught and died like a man then he'd have my respect.

As it is, he comes across looking like a sneaky little wimp rather than a person working for a freer China. Whatever the family issues were they should have taken a back seat to making China a freer place.

How dumb is it to try and sneak into China to see your family if you are wanted by the Chinese government?

There are all sorts of ways he could have contacted his family. I'm sorry, I don't see that the local athorities had much choice in this.

He should have stayed away if he was not prepared to pay the cost of getting caught.

But maybe the Hong Kong Standard misrepresents what happened.

Until Next Time
Fai Mao
The Blogger who doesn't use a fake passport

No comments: