Friday, October 06, 2006

Do 12 Year-Olds Need To Know This?

I've been preparing a book order for the library I work in. This is an every year job and is normally one of my favorite task.

However, I have noticed a trend in juvenile and young adult fiction over the past several years that is disturbing. Many of the new books published for children are very dark. I don't mean dark like Harry Potter with the magic and stuff. I mean dark like real life bad.

It may be true that the world is a bad place. It may also be true that most of that badness is caused by what adults have done. But, do we have to let 12 year-old kid know that?

Why can't we let them grow up and find out that life stinks for themselves? They come to a different conclusion.


Until Next Time
Fai Mao
The Blogger Who Feels Kiddie Lit Has Gotten A Bit Too Intense

No comments: